Characteristics of Word Processor-
Editing Feature-Any type of mistake can be rectified.
Formatting-Any typed text can be made in any form or style.
Graphics- It provides the facility of incorporating drawings in the document.
Find and Replace-Any particular word can be Searched or replaced in entire Document.
Thesaurus-By Using thesaurus,you can change a word with any of its synonyms.
Header and footer- A header or footer is text or graphics such as page number ,company logo on each page of the document.
Page orientation-Two type of orientation over their: landscape,Portrait.
Spell Check-It not only capable of Spelling mistake but also can Suggest possible alternative for incorrectly spelt word.
Mail Merge-It is a facility which enables to print a large number of letter documents with more or less similar text.
Bullets and Numbering-Bullets and Numbering can be used by it, if needed.
Tables-Tables can also be created in MS Word.
Word Window-The components of the word window are as follows-
Title bar- It shows the name of the file on which you are working.It Consits three buttons i.e Minimixe,Maximise,Close.
Menu bar-It consists various commands
Standard Toolbar-It consists Symbols for the common operation like Open,Print,Save etc.
Formatting toolbar-Operation of formatting a document is used in this.
Ruler- It shows the width of the document which can be increased or decreased.
Workspace- It is the area,where the text can be entered.
Vertical Scroll bar-It is used to see the text of various positions.
Horizontal Scroll bar-It is used to see the text at various positions.
Drawing toolbar-This is used for making drawing in the document.
Status bar-This bar will always show your current Position as for the tet goes.
A. Microsoft Word – common shortcuts
1. Ctrl + N = will open a new word document
2. Ctrl + O = will open the ‘Open’ box to open previously saved documents
3. Ctrl + W = will close the current word document
4. Ctrl + S = to save the currently open word document
5. Ctrl + P = will give the print option for current document
6. Ctrl + Z = will undo the last action
7. Ctrl + Y = will restore the action undone
8. Ctrl + X = will cut selected item
9. Ctrl + C = will copy selected text/item
10. Ctrl + V = will paste the previously cut/copy selected text/item
11. Ctrl + A = Selects all the text
12. Ctrl + F = will open Find and Replace option/dialogue box
B. Microsoft Word’s Formatting Shortcuts
1. Ctrl + B = will bold-en the selected text
2.Ctrl + I = will italicize the selected text
3. Ctrl + U = will underline the selected text
4. Ctrl + Shift + D = Double underline
5. Ctrl +Shift + > = will increase the font size of selected text
6. Ctrl +Shift + < = will decrease the font size of selected text
7. Ctrl + 2 = double line spacing
8. End = will take you to the end of a line
9. Home = will take you to the beginning of a line
10. Ctrl + End = will take you to the very end of a document (last page/last line/lastword!)
11. Ctrl + Home = will take you to the very beginning of a document
12. Shift + F3 = will change the case of letters of selected text
13. Ctrl + Shift + F = will activate the ‘Font’ option and you can choose the font you want
14. Ctrl + Shift + N = will apply the ‘Normal’ style to the selected text
15. Ctrl + ‘equal sign’ = for superscript.
16. Ctrl + Shift + ‘the plus sign’ = for superscript.
C. Microsoft Word – insert option shortcuts
1. Ctrl + Enter = will give/insert a page break, i.e., it’ll go to the next page
2. Ctrl + K = to insert a hyperlink
3. Alt + Shift + D = will insert the current Date
4. Alt + Shift + T = will insert the current Time
5. Alt + I + P + C = will open the Clip Art box on the right side of the document
6. Alt + I + P + W = will open the Wordart options box
7. Alt + I + P + H = will insert/open graph/chart input/options box in the form of an excel sheet.
8. Alt + I + P + O = will insert an organization flow chart, which you can edit as per requirement
Important Keyboard Shortcut Keys
CTRL + HOME –Goes to Starting page
CTRL + END – Goes to ending page
SHIFT + DEL – To delete
CTRL + C – COPY
CTRL + X – CUT
CTRL + V – PASTE
ALT + F – File Menu Choice In The Current Program.
ALT + E -Edit menu