Use of A/An:
Article A/An is used before a singular noun.
The choice b/w A/An is determined by the first sound of pronunciation (not by the letter even it may be A, E, I, O, U) of the noun.
If it is pronounced with a vowel sound, use “An” otherwise “A”.
* He is an honest man
* He is a European.
* He is an MLA.
* He is an SDO.
Remember Some important words:
* An hour
* An honour
* An honest
* An heir
* A house
* A Historical place
* A Humble Person
* A One rupee
* A uniform
* A heinous
* A young
* A ewe
* A university
* A unity
* A union
* A eulogy
* An MP/MLC
* A member of society
* An IAS
* An IAS/IPS/ILO
* An SP/SDO
* A UK ship
* An European
“The”- Definite Article
Uses of “The”:
1. While speaking of a particular person or thing or one already referred to.
Example: She found a purse. The purse contained a golden chain. the golden chain is very precious.
2. When a singular noun is meant to represent the whole thing.
Example: The dog is a faithful animal.
3. The is used before superlative.
Example: She is the most beautiful girl in our school.
4. The is used with the name of renowned buildings, gulf, river, sea, etc.
* The Taj mahal
* The Persian Gulf
* The Red Sea
* The Thame
5. The is used before adjectives east/west etc + noun in certain names
Example: The east/west end
6. The is used before directions
Example: The east, the west, the north
7. The is used before important books name
Example: The Ramayana, The Quran
8. The is used before the name of the person (Family) in the plural
Example: The Raymond, The Ambanis
Zero article Position
Article is omitted in following cases:
1. Before a proper noun.
Example:Akbar was a great king.
2. Before a common noun, used in its widest sense.
Example: Man is mortal.
3. Before material noun.
Example: Iron is a hard metal.
4. Before name of regular meals(Breakfast, Dinner, lunch)
Example: he was invited to dinner.
5. Before the name of language or color.
Example: I like red and blue.
6. Before a noun the following kind of expression “kind of”
Example: What kind of girl she is?