Characteristics of MS Excel-
Worksheet-It is grid of cells made up of Horizontal rows and vertical columns.It contains 65536 rows and 256 columns.
Row Number- Each row is given a number 1,2,3,4… so on.
Column Letter-Each column is given a letter starting from A….,Z..,ZZ,BA,….,BZ….IA-IV.
Cell-A basic unit of worksheet where Number Text is placed.
Cell Pointer-It is a cell boundary that specifies which cell is active at the movement.
Current Cell- An Active cell is called Current Cell.
Range of Cell-It is a group Contiguous Cells that forms a rectangular area.
Workbook-A worksheet is a grid of cells made up of Rows and Columns.
Data in Worksheet-Three types of data can be entered, numbers/ characters, text and Formulae.
Formula- It is a Sequence of values cell ADdress,names functions or operators in a cell that produces a new value from Existing values.
Cell Referencing-Each cell in worksheet has a unique address,when cell address is referred in the formulae.
Relative Referencing-Cell Referencing in which the cells are referred by their fixed position in the worksheet.
Absolute Referencing-Cell referencing in which the cells are referred by their Fixed positions in the worksheet.
Functions-Functions are predefined formulae that perform calculations by using specific values called arguments.
Structure-The Structure of a function begins with the function’s name, followed by an opening parenthesis.
Charts-Pictorial representation of a work sheet.
Area Chart-Area chart Emphasizes the magnitude of change over time.
Column Chart-A column chart shows data changes over a period of time.
Bar Chart-It is a comparison Between the Among Individual terms.
LIne Chart-It shows trends in the data at equal intervals.
A. Microsoft Excel – common shortcuts
1. Ctrl + N = will open a new excel document
2. Ctrl + O = will open the ‘Open’ box to open previously saved documents
3. Ctrl + W = will close the current excel document without exiting Excel
4. Ctrl + S = to save the currently open word document
5. Ctrl + P = will give the print option for current document
6. Ctrl + Z = will undo the last action
7. Ctrl + Y = will restore the action undone
8. Ctrl + X = will cut selected item
9. Ctrl + C = will copy selected text/item
10. Ctrl + V = will paste the previously cut/copy selected text/item
11. Ctrl + A = Selects the whole document
12. Ctrl + F = will open Find and Replace option/dialogue box
B. Microsoft Excel’s Formatting Shortcuts
1. Ctrl + B = will bold-en the selected text/selected cell
2. Ctrl + I = will italicize the selected text/selected cell
3. Ctrl + U = will underline the selected text/selected cell
4. Home = will take you to the first cell of a row which has any value
5. Ctrl + End = will take you to the last row which has any value
6. Ctrl + Home = will take you to the very beginning of a document
7. Ctrl + Shift + F = will activate the ‘Font’ option and you can chose the font you want
C. Microsoft Excel – insert option shortcuts
1. Ctrl + K = to insert a hyperlink
2. Alt + I + P + C = will open the Clip Art box on the right side of the document
3. Alt + I + P + W = will open the Word Art options box
4. Alt + I + P + O = will insert an organization flow chart, which you can edit requirement
5. Alt + I + B = insert a page break
6. Alt + I + H = opening Chart setup wizard
7. Alt +I + M = inserting/attaching a comment to cell on excel
8. Alt + I + R = insert rows
9. Alt + I + C = insert columns
10. Alt + I + E = insert cell
11. Alt + E + D = delete cells/rows/column option is opened
12. Alt + I + F = open the ‘functions’ dialogue box. Alternatively function can be added by clicking on ‘fx’ icon on the toolbar.
D. Function of function keys.
F1 = opens Help option. F1 opens help option in all MS Office applications.
F2 = for editing contents of a cell
F5 = will open ‘Go To’ option
F7 = will open spell check option
Ctrl + F9 = minimizes particular workbook
Ctrl + F10 = restores particular workbook
F10 = will activate Menu bar
F11 = will open a ‘Chart 1’ tab
F12 = will save the workbook